- RESEARCH SUBJECT
- Atmospheric and Environment Science
- Air Quality and Climate Change
- AREA OF EXPERTIZE
- Designing the Strategic Air Quality Forecasting Framework
- Emission Inventory Development of Pollutants
- Air Quality Science and Policy
- Public Outreach
- Air Pollution Modelling and Forecasting
- Air Quality and Human Health
- Air Quality Management and Impact Assessment
- Mitigation planning and Abatement Strategy
- Fundamental Science backed Services to Nation
- ESTABLISEMENT OF INSTITUTIONS /FACILITIES:
- (a). SAFAR-India: Conceived, designed and developed "First Indigenous Metro Air Quality Forecasting Framework for India" -A Concept for National Clean Air Program-NCAP" of MoEFCC, Govt. of India
- (b). ENVIS-IITM: Environmental Information System Centre at IITM, Pune.
- (c) SAHAS: Multi-Hazard Early Warning System: Impact of Air Quality on Health, Agriculture and Ecosystem.
- (d) MAPAN: Empowering Air Quality and Weather Monitoring Facility to Indian Universities.
- (e) RRC: Regional Research Centre at NPL, New Delhi
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION FOR THE COUNTRY:
- Development of first ever Development of "System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research"- SAFAR -INDIA
- Providing location specific information on current and up to 3-days advance forecast for air quality and weather parameters along with current ultraviolet index (skin related) and emission scenario over the city area. Disseminating the information in an easy to understand format in terms of Air Quality Index (AQI) based health advisories for the benefit to society. More.
- Major National Awards:
- (1). Recipient of coveted SHANTI SWARUP BHATRNAGAR AWARD in the discipline of Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean & Planetary Sciences conferred by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India for outstanding scientific contributions. More
- (2). First Indian Citizen to win the WORLD METEOROLOGICAL ORGANIZATION (WMO, United Nations) Norbert Gerbier-MUMM International Award conferred by WMO-Headquarters, United Nations, Geneva, Switzerland. More
- Research and Teaching Experience:
- 38 years of research experience (since 1983 onwards)
- 15 years of Teaching experience.
Brief Scientific Achievements of Prof. (Dr.) Gufran Beig
- CURRENT AFFILIATION:
- Founder Project Director-SAFAR
- (@IITM, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt of India)
- Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee chair Professor
- National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
- Indian Institute of Science Campus (IISc)
- Bangalore-560012, INDIA
- CONTACTS :
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Web: http://safar.tropmet.res.in/beig
- Phone: +91-80-22185076
STATEMENT OF RESEARCH WORK
Scientific work includes two aspects of research and development- (a) fundamental contributions in the field of Atmospheric and Environment Science, particularly, tropical atmospheric chemistry, focusing on air pollutants and short-lived climate forcing agents, and (b) system development and impact assessment for practical applications to the society.
Nominee have been involved in all three-core aspect of research and development, namely, experimental, theoretical modeling and diagnostic works. Designed and developed India's first metro air quality forecasting framework for four Indian mega cities and dedicated to nation as an operational service.
Developed high-resolution gridded emission inventories of major air pollutants and greenhouse gases for different metro cities that fulfilled the critical input for forecasting models as well as helped plan mitigation strategies. In other important assessment of climate change signals in the upper atmosphere has been done for the first time which revealed cooling in this region because of increase in greenhouse gases. This finding has strong implications in navigation system, radio communication, and satellite movement.