- RESEARCH SUBJECT
- Atmospheric and Environment Science
- Air Quality and Climate Change
- AREA OF EXPERTIZE
- Designing the Strategic Air Quality Forecasting Framework
- Emission Inventory Development of Pollutants
- Air Quality Science and Policy
- Public Outreach
- Air Pollution Modelling and Forecasting
- Air Quality and Human Health
- Air Quality Management and Impact Assessment
- Mitigation planning and Abatement Strategy
- Fundamental Science backed Services to Nation
- ESTABLISEMENT OF INSTITUTIONS /FACILITIES:
- (a). SAFAR-India: Conceived, designed and developed "First Indigenous Metro Air Quality Forecasting Framework for India" -A Concept for National Clean Air Program-NCAP" of MoEFCC, Govt. of India
- (b). ENVIS-IITM: Environmental Information System Centre at IITM, Pune.
- (c) SAHAS: Multi-Hazard Early Warning System: Impact of Air Quality on Health, Agriculture and Ecosystem.
- (d) MAPAN: Empowering Air Quality and Weather Monitoring Facility to Indian Universities.
- (e) RRC: Regional Research Centre at NPL, New Delhi
- TECHNOLOGY INNOVATION FOR THE COUNTRY:
- Development of first ever Development of "System of Air Quality and Weather Forecasting and Research"- SAFAR -INDIA
- Providing location specific information on current and up to 3-days advance forecast for air quality and weather parameters along with current ultraviolet index (skin related) and emission scenario over the city area. Disseminating the information in an easy to understand format in terms of Air Quality Index (AQI) based health advisories for the benefit to society. More.
- Major National Awards:
- (1). Recipient of coveted SHANTI SWARUP BHATRNAGAR AWARD in the discipline of Earth, Atmosphere, Ocean & Planetary Sciences conferred by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Govt. of India for outstanding scientific contributions. More
- (2). First Indian Citizen to win the WORLD METEOROLOGICAL ORGANIZATION (WMO, United Nations) Norbert Gerbier-MUMM International Award conferred by WMO-Headquarters, United Nations, Geneva, Switzerland. More
- Research and Teaching Experience:
- 38 years of research experience (since 1983 onwards)
- 15 years of Teaching experience.
Brief Scientific Achievements of Prof. (Dr.) Gufran Beig
- CURRENT AFFILIATION:
- Founder Project Director-SAFAR
- (@IITM, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt of India)
- Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee chair Professor
- National Institute of Advanced Studies (NIAS)
- Indian Institute of Science Campus (IISc)
- Bangalore-560012, INDIA
- CONTACTS :
- Email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: http://safar.tropmet.res.in/beig
- Phone: +91-80-22185076
STATEMENT OF RESEARCH WORK
Research and Development work includes two aspects of Science- (a) fundamental contributions in the field of Atmospheric and Environment Sciences, focusing on air pollution, ozone and Climate Change in tropical regions, and (b) designing and developing of air quality forecasting framework with impact assessment for practical applications to the society.
Involved in all three-core aspects of research and development, namely, experimental, theoretical modelling and diagnostic works. Developed India’s first metro air quality forecasting framework and dedicated it to the nation as an operational service to help citizens prevent their health through early interventions. Developed high-resolution gridded emission inventories of major air pollutants and greenhouse gases that fulfilled the critical input for forecasting models and planning mitigation strategies. Augmented new chemical schemes and parameterization suiting to Indian environment to indigenize current coupled atmospheric chemistry transport models. This has significantly enhanced the skill of short to extended-range air quality forecast. Explained processes leading to extreme pollution events owing to stubble burning, dust storms and severe weather. His work on determining the baseline level of major air pollutants has direct application to epidemiology and exposure science. In another vertical, made an assessment of climate change signals in the upper atmosphere, revealed cooling because of the increase in greenhouse gases. This finding strongly affects navigation systems, radio communication, and satellite movement.
Current R&D effort focuses on 2 critical needs of the nation- (1) Develop National Air Quality Resource Framework (NARFI) by adopting integrated multi-sectoral science and technology approach to promote evidence-based decision-making and drive knowledge products to integrate into a common platform; (2) Establishment of the centre of excellence in NIAS by the formation of Science and Policy Consortium of Greenhouse Gases and Ozone-depleting substances (SPOGO) for the country.